Ambiera Forum

Discussions, Help and Support.

Ambiera Forum > CopperCube > CopperCube Open discussion
CopperCube vs Godot vs Manu Game Engine.

john123
Registered User
Quote
2023-10-10 20:58:08

I've tested several engines in the past, I don't know how to program, so my prerequisite is to see if that engine can offer me a game.

CopperCube comes out ahead in the area of ??ease, and I'm shocked that it's not a more well-known engine, it has this old-school style that is very intuitive.

Godot, I didn't like it at all, it's not that easy to use, and they removed the visual scripting, and despite it being lightweight, its powerful and you can get incredible graphics with it, its a good alternative to Unity.

Manu is another engine that doesn't require programming... but I tried it, I didn't find how to add more behaviors, maybe I was incompetent, making the user return to the issue of having to program, even so, the engine is super heavy, the graphics are great, but it consumes lots of memory. And it seems that development is dragging on too.


luposian
Registered User
Quote
2023-10-10 22:11:08

john123 wrote:
I've tested several engines in the past, I don't know how to program, so my prerequisite is to see if that engine can offer me a game.

CopperCube comes out ahead in the area of ??ease, and I'm shocked that it's not a more well-known engine, it has this old-school style that is very intuitive.

Godot, I didn't like it at all, it's not that easy to use, and they removed the visual scripting, and despite it being lightweight, its powerful and you can get incredible graphics with it, its a good alternative to Unity.

Manu is another engine that doesn't require programming... but I tried it, I didn't find how to add more behaviors, maybe I was incompetent, making the user return to the issue of having to program, even so, the engine is super heavy, the graphics are great, but it consumes lots of memory. And it seems that development is dragging on too.

I'm looking into Manu, since it has macOS support. I've Emailed, asking if they support macOS 11 and beyond, as well as Metal API development. That would be key to me, to really get my interest. CopperCube 6.6 is fine for now, until a better (and possible easier? Could such a thing exist?) development environment is available.

So, unless I read it wrong (in another post), is part of the reason CopperCube updates are slow in coming, because Nico is dev'ing for (working on) Unity? Isn't that kinda shooting yourself in the foot?


ultradarkbeast
Registered User
Quote
2023-10-22 20:49:04

wrote:
john123 wrote:
I've tested several engines in the past, I don't know how to program, so my prerequisite is to see if that engine can offer me a game.

CopperCube comes out ahead in the area of ??ease, and I'm shocked that it's not a more well-known engine, it has this old-school style that is very intuitive.

Godot, I didn't like it at all, it's not that easy to use, and they removed the visual scripting, and despite it being lightweight, its powerful and you can get incredible graphics with it, its a good alternative to Unity.

Manu is another engine that doesn't require programming... but I tried it, I didn't find how to add more behaviors, maybe I was incompetent, making the user return to the issue of having to program, even so, the engine is super heavy, the graphics are great, but it consumes lots of memory. And it seems that development is dragging on too.

I'm looking into Manu, since it has macOS support. I've Emailed, asking if they support macOS 11 and beyond, as well as Metal API development. That would be key to me, to really get my interest. CopperCube 6.6 is fine for now, until a better (and possible easier? Could such a thing exist?) development environment is available.

So, unless I read it wrong (in another post), is part of the reason CopperCube updates are slow in coming, because Nico is dev'ing for (working on) Unity? Isn't that kinda shooting yourself in the foot?


So Unity was a choice for Mac why did you chose coppercube?


just_in_case
Moderator
Quote
2023-10-23 06:12:33

I don't think @Niko is working for unity, CC updates are slow, because since it went free, the userbase has increased amazingly but the professional and studio version sales went down, and it seems people don't want to finance the engine and yet want to force the developer to push regular updates or open source the engine.
CC will recieve updates but at it's own pace unless people show interest in it as well as support it by purchasing the paid license as welll.


luposian
Registered User
Quote
2023-10-23 06:12:47

wrote:
wrote:
john123 wrote:
I've tested several engines in the past, I don't know how to program, so my prerequisite is to see if that engine can offer me a game.

CopperCube comes out ahead in the area of ??ease, and I'm shocked that it's not a more well-known engine, it has this old-school style that is very intuitive.

Godot, I didn't like it at all, it's not that easy to use, and they removed the visual scripting, and despite it being lightweight, its powerful and you can get incredible graphics with it, its a good alternative to Unity.

Manu is another engine that doesn't require programming... but I tried it, I didn't find how to add more behaviors, maybe I was incompetent, making the user return to the issue of having to program, even so, the engine is super heavy, the graphics are great, but it consumes lots of memory. And it seems that development is dragging on too.

I'm looking into Manu, since it has macOS support. I've Emailed, asking if they support macOS 11 and beyond, as well as Metal API development. That would be key to me, to really get my interest. CopperCube 6.6 is fine for now, until a better (and possible easier? Could such a thing exist?) development environment is available.

So, unless I read it wrong (in another post), is part of the reason CopperCube updates are slow in coming, because Nico is dev'ing for (working on) Unity? Isn't that kinda shooting yourself in the foot?


So Unity was a choice for Mac why did you chose coppercube?

I opted for CopperCube because it's easier to understand and use than anything else out there. It has the best balance of ease-of use and capability of any 3D engine available, that I'm aware of. Manu seems to operate in a different way than other 3D engines. And, unless I'm mistaken, you can't create a stand-alone game with it. You need to use a runtime program. At least I've had to use one to play their 3PP "husky adventurer" game. Manu doesn't have a forums board like Ambiera does and their Discord channel is rather quiet, so no way to get a lot of discussion going or answers gotten so far.


luposian
Registered User
Quote
2023-10-23 07:34:08

wrote:
I don't think @Niko is working for unity, CC updates are slow, because since it went free, the userbase has increased amazingly but the professional and studio version sales went down, and it seems people don't want to finance the engine and yet want to force the developer to push regular updates or open source the engine.
CC will recieve updates but at it's own pace unless people show interest in it as well as support it by purchasing the paid license as welll.

When people can do/get stuff for free, they generally will. But, the balance between "free" and "paid" should lean in the favor of "paid", if/when possible.

For example, I'm grateful I can get as much done with my game for "free" (as far as CopperCube is concerned; as far as other development aspects, it's cost me hundreds!), but I also know that a part of Stage 3 of my game is going to require I buy the paid version, to complete. And, as the Studio version is not that expensive and has the features I need, I'll buy it when I'm ready for it. Smart move on Nico's part, keeping desirable and/or necessary aspects for the paid versions.


ultradarkbeast
Registered User
Quote
2023-10-23 07:48:48

wrote:
I don't think @Niko is working for unity, CC updates are slow, because since it went free, the userbase has increased amazingly but the professional and studio version sales went down, and it seems people don't want to finance the engine and yet want to force the developer to push regular updates or open source the engine.
CC will recieve updates but at it's own pace unless people show interest in it as well as support it by purchasing the paid license as welll.

Maybe @niko should make a deal that if you earn any revenue from coppercube game engine then they have to pay 5% or other from revenue?


luposian
Registered User
Quote
2023-10-24 04:08:59

wrote:
wrote:
I don't think @Niko is working for unity, CC updates are slow, because since it went free, the userbase has increased amazingly but the professional and studio version sales went down, and it seems people don't want to finance the engine and yet want to force the developer to push regular updates or open source the engine.
CC will recieve updates but at it's own pace unless people show interest in it as well as support it by purchasing the paid license as welll.

Maybe @niko should make a deal that if you earn any revenue from coppercube game engine then they have to pay 5% or other from revenue?

He'd have to change the license. And, I don't think license changes can be retroactive. At least it wouldn't seem fair if it were.

But, let's see... I've gotten a total of $7 in purchases on my Luposian game so far... 5% of $7 is... $0.35. I'm sure Nico wouldn't even know what to do with THAT kinda money!



Create reply:


Posted by: (you are not logged in)


Enter the missing letter in: "Interna?ional" (you are not logged in)


Text:

 

  

Possible Codes


Feature Code
Link [url] www.example.com [/url]
Bold [b]bold text[/b]
Image [img]http://www.example.com/image.jpg[/img]
Quote [quote]quoted text[/quote]
Code [code]source code[/code]

Emoticons


   






Copyright© Ambiera e.U. all rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Imprint | Contact